Daily Calendar for Friday, April 8, 2022
Question of the Day
Is there such a thing as an American buffalo or are they all bison?
They are bison (b. bison). Buffalo is the word used most often, but true buffalo are African and Asian animals of the same family.
Advice of the Day
Cure a baby’s hiccups by putting two broom straws in its hair.
Home Hint of the Day
If concrete has dried on your shovel or wheelbarrow, don’t panic. Heat the metal with a torch. The concrete won’t expand as quickly as the metal, and the unwanted material will fall off.
Word of the Day
A number in the 19-year cycle of the Moon, used for determining the date of Easter. (The Moon repeats its phases approximately every 19 years.) Add 1 to any given year and divide the result by 19; the remainder is the Golden Number. If there is no remainder, the Golden Number is 19.
Puzzle of the Day
Why did the ram fall over the cliff?
It didn’t see the ewe turn!
- Sonja Henie (figure skater) –
- Betty Ford (U.S. First Lady) –
- Franco Corelli (opera singer) –
- Kofi Atta Annan (7th United Nations Secretary General) –
- James Augustus Catfish" Hunter" (American baseball pitcher) –
- John Schneider (actor) –
- Julian Lennon (musician) –
- Robin Wright Penn (actress) –
- Patricia Arquette (actress) –
- Taylor Kitsch (actor) –
- Skai Jackson (actress) –
- Pablo Picasso (painter) –
- Marian Anderson (singer) –
- Margaret Thatcher (British prime minister) –
- Annette Funicello (actress; one of the original Mouseketeers) –
- William Pigott opened first inn in Nova Scotia (in Halifax)–
- Gallaudet University founded in Washington, D.C.–
- Second day of fire tornadoes in San Luis Obispo, California–
- Honolulu Academy of Arts opened in Hawaii–
- President Franklin D. Roosevelt ordered a nationwide wage freeze in an effort to curb inflation–
- The League of Nations assembled for the last time, Geneva–
- Sunspot enlarged to 330+ times Earth’s area–
- In Toronto, the CBC announced it bought Sesame Street to show on its television network–
- Hank Aaron hit his 715th home run, breaking Babe Ruth’s record–
- Clint Eastwood elected mayor of Carmel, CA–
- 28 degrees F, Bakersfield, California–
- A record heat wave in New York City brought a temperature of 85 degrees F–
- Last killing frost, Hartford, Connecticut–
- Dust storm blew across Colorado and Kansas–