Daily Calendar for Thursday, October 13, 2022
Question of the Day
When were zippers invented?
First referred to as the clasp locker, or unlocker for shoes, the zipper was patented in 1893 by Judson Whitcomb.
Advice of the Day
Every cock is proud on his own dunghill.
Home Hint of the Day
If a hinge is set too deep, remove the hinge, insert a piece of paper or cardboard, and reinstall the hinge plate over the paper.
Word of the Day
Moon rides High/runs Low
The Moon is highest above or farthest below the celestial equator.
Puzzle of the Day
On what kind of ships do students study?
- Mary McCauley (Molly Pitcher) –
- Theodore Gilmore Bilbo (politician) –
- Art Tatum (jazz pianist) –
- Herbert Lawrence Block (editorial cartoonist) –
- Cornel Wilde (actor) –
- Lenny Bruce (comedian) –
- Margaret Thatcher (former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom) –
- Paul Simon (musician) –
- Sammy Hagar (musician) –
- Lacy J. Dalton (singer) –
- Marie Osmond (singer) –
- Nancy Kerrigan (figure skater) –
- Ashanti (singer) –
- Milton Hershey (American manufacturer and philanthropist) –
- Ed Sullivan (television personality) –
- Stephen Ambrose (historian) –
- Cornerstone of the White House was laid–
- The Jewish organization B’nai B’rith was founded–
- Several countries adopted the Greenwich longitude as the prime meridian–
- The copyright for the melody Happy Birthday to You” was registered”–
- Boston Americans (now Red Sox) won first World Series–
- The Boston Red Sox beat the Philadelphia Phillies to win the World Series–
- William Golding’s novel, The Lord of the Flies, was published in New York–
- Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? opened on Broadway–
- Expo 86 ended in Vancouver, British Columbia–
- The United States Navy Memorial was dedicated, Washington, D.C.–
- Stock market dropped 190.58 points in what was called the Friday the 13th mini-crash–
- Thirty-three miners trapped underground for more than 2 months were rescued, Copiapo, Chile–
- A 5.1-magnitude earthquake struck central Oklahoma–
- Actor William Shatner became the oldest person, at age 90, to travel to space–
- A snowstorm hit New York City–
- Project Cirrus: 80 lbs. dry ice released onto hurricane–
- Up to 2 feet of snow blanketed Buffalo, New York, and surrounding areas–