Daily Calendar for Saturday, February 4, 2023
Question of the Day
What is the best way to store vegetables, both cut and uncut? I have limited refrigerator space.
Let’s take the uncut vegetables first. Potatoes, beets, carrots, and other root vegetables should be brushed clean of any soil and stored in a cool, dark place. (Never refrigerate potatoes.) Clipping the tops off carrots and beets will keep them fresher longer. Onions like it cool and dry, but don’t store them with apples or potatoes. Tomatoes should be stored at cool room temperature but out of direct sunlight. (Never refrigerate fresh tomatoes.) Tropical fruits do not do well in the cold. Store bananas, citrus fruits, pineapples, melons, eggplants, cucumbers, peppers, and beans at about 50 degrees Fahrenheit, if possible. We recommend storing lettuce and broccoli in the refrigerator crisper drawer. With regard to cut vegetables, it depends on how long you wish to store them. Most can stand overnight, immersed in water. For any longer period, we’d recommend cooking them, then either freezing them or storing them in the refrigerator for a few days.
Advice of the Day
To avoid bad dreams, live simply, be regular in habits, and be cheerful.
Home Hint of the Day
Moisture causes your silver to tarnish. To prevent this, put a block of camphor, available at drugstores, in with the silver.
Word of the Day
The effect of light on the direction of growth of a plant.
Puzzle of the Day
Why has the shoemaker wonderful powers of endurance?
Because he holds on to the last.
- Mark Hopkins (educator) –
- Fernand Leger (painter) –
- Cairine Reay Wilson (Canadian senator) –
- Charles Lindbergh (aviator) –
- MacKinlay Kantor (novelist) –
- Rosa Parks (civil rights activist) –
- Dan Quayle (U.S. vice president) –
- Alice Cooper (musician) –
- Clint Black (country musician) –
- Oscar de la Hoya (boxer) –
- Natalie Imbruglia (singer) –
- Gavin DeGraw (musician) –
- Carly Patterson (gymnast, Olympic gold medalist) –
- Karen Carpenter (singer) –
- Liberace (entertainer) –
- Barbara McNair (singer & actress) –
- John Mahoney (actor) –
- Daniel Shays’ rebellion in Petersham, Massachusetts, concerning the financial plight of farmers, failed (Shays’ Rebellion)–
- George Washington elected as the first president of the several states, with John Adams as vice president–
- John Marshall was sworn in as chief justice of the United States–
- The Mormon exodus to the American West began–
- Codex Sinaiticus discovered, St. Catherine’s Monastery, Mt. Sinai, Egypt–
- Winter Olympics held in U.S. (Lake Placid, NY) for the first time–
- Radium E became the first synthetically produced radioactive substance–
- Thornton Wilder’s play Our Town opened on Broadway–
- The United Service Organizations (USO) was incorporated–
- 96-hour surgical operation began–
- Rolls-Royce, Ltd. of Britain declared bankruptcy–
- Dennis Conner and crew of Stars & Stripes recaptured America’s Cup–
- Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy became the first African American coach to lead his team to Super Bowl Victory. The Colts beat the Chicago Bears 29-17–
- 5,622 ice lanterns displayed, setting world record, State College, Pennsylvania –
- 395 ice skaters lined up in Winnipeg, Manitoba, to set world record–
- -49 degrees F, Calgary, Alberta–
- An ice storm hit Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire–