Daily Calendar for Tuesday, February 14, 2023
Question of the Day
What is the difference between sleet and hail?
Sleet is partially frozen rain, measuring less than 5 mm (0.2 inch) in diameter. Hail is a round piece of ice that usually falls during thunderstorms. Its average size is 0.25, or 1/4, inch in diameter, although hailstones weighing up to seven pounds have been reported.
Advice of the Day
They do not love that do not show their love.
Home Hint of the Day
Sharpening every tooth of a handsaw is more than most home carpenters care to undertake, but these saws do need to be sharpened occasionally. Your local hardware store should be able to recommend someone to do the job.
Word of the Day
Thin white cloud that resembles veils.
Puzzle of the Day
Why is the horse the most curious feeder in the world?
He eats best when he has not a bit in his mouth.
- George W. G. Ferris, Jr. (inventor of the ferris wheel) –
- Florence Henderson (actress) –
- Gregory Hines (dancer & actor) –
- Simon Pegg (actor) –
- Drew Bledsoe (football player) –
- Rob Thomas (musician) –
- Freddie Highmore (actor) –
- Allie Grant (actress) –
- Pietro Belluschi (architect) –
- Dolly the sheep (first cloned mammal) –
- Louie Bellson (big band & jazz drummer) –
- Captain James Cook, English explorer, was murdered by Hawaiian natives in a scuffle over a stolen boat–
- James Polk became the first president to be photographed–
- First Lady Jackie Kennedy conducted a one hour televised tour of the White House–
- First Double Dutch Jump Rope Tournament was held–
- Dolly the Cloned Sheep, the world’s first mammal cloned from an adult, put to death, due to lung problems–
- YouTube founded–
- A 70-pound meteorite from Barringer Crater in Arizona sold for $237,500 at auction–
- Valley Head, Alabama, had a record cold temperature of -18 degrees F–
- Valentine Day Blizzard in southern New England: 10-18”–
- Mountain Home, Arkansas, received 24 inches of snow–