Daily Calendar for Saturday, February 25, 2023
Question of the Day
I received a fig tree (fruit-bearing type) as a Christmas gift and want to find out the correct time and way to set it into the ground. I live in central Mississippi.
Figs need warm weather and lots of sunlight to ripen, so we suggest that you plant the tree in a 30-gallon container with good drainage and put it outside in mid-spring if the tree is dormant; if it has leaves, be sure not to put it outside until all danger of frost has passed. If you want to plant it in the ground, put it close to the south wall of your house for extra warmth. The benefit of container planting is that you can move the tree indoors when the weather turns colder and thus extend the ripening period.
Advice of the Day
Luck is loaned, not owned.
Home Hint of the Day
Old or broken hacksaw blades make good, flexible tools for applying glue, crack filler, or cement. Use an electric grinding wheel or a hand file, to grind down the teeth a bit, then grind the end to any shape desired.
Word of the Day
1 furlong=1/8 mile=660 feet=220 yards
Puzzle of the Day
What word is that which by having a single letter transposed becomes its own opposite?
- Christopher Wren (architect) –
- Thomas Moore (poet) –
- Anna Tuthill Symmes Harrison (U.S. First Lady) –
- Tennessee Williams (playwright) –
- Darren McGavin (actor) –
- Jim Lange (original host of The Dating Game) –
- Bill Paxton (actor) –
- Pierre Auguste Renoir (painter) –
- Zeppo Marx (comedian) –
- Jim Backus (actor) –
- Bobby Riggs (tennis player) –
- George Harrison (musician) –
- Sean Astin (actor) –
- James and Oliver Phelps (actors) –
- Justin Berfield (actor) –
- First trained monkey act in the U.S.–
- George Washington held the first Cabinet meeting as President of the United States–
- First tunnel (railroad) under Hudson River opened, linking New Jersey to New York City–
- First state gasoline tax began, Oregon–
- USS Ranger, first true aircraft carrier, launched–
- First hockey game on TV–
- Battle of Los Angeles with UFO, California–
- Cassius Clay (later called Muhammad Ali) defeated Sonny Liston in seven rounds to win the world heavyweight boxing title–
- Eighteen inches of snow, Society Hill, South Carolina–
- 21 degrees, San Antonio, Tex.–
- 49.3 inches of snow fell, Mt. Washington, New Hampshire–
- Boston, Massachusetts, received 26.3 inches of snow in a two day storm–
- Light snow in Pocatello, Idaho, raised its seasonal snowfall total to 85.7 inches–
- 92 degrees F, San Antonio, Texas–