Daily Calendar for Friday, April 14, 2023
Question of the Day
How do I take care of a sick spider plant?
Spider plants have a tendency to become pot-bound, and if yours is looking pale and sickly, this may be the reason. Take the plant out of the pot and trim back the roots. Repot with fresh soil, place where it will receive light, and take care not to overwater.
Advice of the Day
If fowls roll in the sand, rain is at hand.
Home Hint of the Day
Before you can install new cedar shingles (either white or red) on a roof, you must remove the old roofing material and pull out or drive in all nails.
Word of the Day
The point in a planet’s orbit that is farthest from the Sun.
Puzzle of the Day
What did one arithmetic book say to the other arithmetic book?
Boy, do I have problems!
- Anne Sullivan (teacher and mentor to Helen Keller) –
- Loretta Lynn (American country music singer-songwriter ) –
- Pete Rose (baseball player) –
- Brad Garrett (actor) –
- Adrien Brody (actor) –
- Sarah Michelle Gellar (actress) –
- Abigail Breslin (actress) –
- Burl Ives (actor & singer) –
- Buck Baker (race car driver) –
- Don Ho (entertainer) –
- Trevor Bannister (actor) –
- Walter Breuning (retired railroad worker from Montana who was, at the time of his death, the world’s oldest man at 114 years old.) –
- The sky was full of unknown moving objects in Nuremberg, Germany–
- Noah Webster’s American Dictionary of the English Language printed–
- President Abraham Lincoln was shot by John Wilkes Booth at Ford’s Theater, Washington, D.C.–
- New Jersey passed the first law providing state aid for public roads–
- John Harvey Kellogg patented process to make cornflakes–
- James Cash Penney opened his first store, Kemmerer, Wyoming–
- President William Howard Taft threw a pitch to open the baseball season–
- The world’s largest passenger ship, the RMS Titanic, struck an iceberg in the North Atlantic on its maiden voyage–
- Dr. Harry Plotz’s discovery of the cause of typhus was formally announced –
- Judge ruled “aspirin” is generic trademark in U.S.–
- Katharine Hepburn became the first to win three Best Actress Oscars–
- First major league baseball game in Canada, Expos vs. Cardinals–
- Don Calhoun won $1 million by making a 79-foot shot in a basketball contest–
- 51-pound 4-ounce monkfish caught in Stellwagen Bank, Massachusetts–
- Beatle George Harrison received a star on Hollywood’s Walk of Fame–
- A massive fireball shot across the evening sky, visible for about 15 minutes in the Midwest. A sonic boom and lightning were reported.–
- A 7.1-magnitude earthquake devastated China’s Yushu County in the Qinghai Province–
- Severe coastal storm, Virginia and North Carolina–
- Devastating tornado cut 20 mile path through St. Cloud, Minnesota–
- Today into the following day: 87 inches of snow fell in 27.5 hours in Silver Lake, Colorado–
- The Black Blizzard, a huge dust storm, blew through the drought-stricken Great Plains. The day became known as “Black Sunday.”–
- Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota, received 13 inches of snow–