Daily Calendar for Wednesday, May 3, 2023
Question of the Day
How did the name chicken pox come to be?
Pox is an archaic word for an infectious disease characterized by pustules or eruptions. There were many types of pox, and it’s generally believed that the name chicken pox came from the smallness (or lack of severity) of the disease. Another school of thought has it that both chicken pox and swine pox were thought to be derived from the animals whose names they took.
Advice of the Day
To strengthen fingernails, soak them in an infusion of crushed dill seeds.
Home Hint of the Day
Don’t use manure fertilizer with bulbs. It can encourage bulb rot or disease. Instead, apply a sprinkling of bone meal.
Word of the Day
A boring person who talks a great deal about uninteresting topics.
Puzzle of the Day
What did Cinderella say when her photographs didn’t arrive?
Someday my prints will come.
- Adolphe Charles Adam (composer) –
- Frank Levingston (at time of death, was oldest surviving WWII veteran) –
- Bing Crosby (singer) –
- Mary Astor (actress) –
- Sugar Ray Robinson (boxer) –
- James Brown (singer) –
- Frankie Valli (singer) –
- Doug Henning (magician) –
- Dulé Hill (actor) –
- First toll bridge (toll for animals began), Rowley, Massachusetts–
- Washington, D.C., was incorporated as a city–
- First U.S. telecast of a book review–
- First broadcast of National Public Radio’s All Things Considered–
- The Old Man of the Mountain located in Franconia Notch, NH, fell from his perch–
- Three veterans’ names were added to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial–
- Dale Davis, a legally blind 78-year old man from Alta, Iowa, bowled a perfect game during league play–
- The temperature dipped to 39 degrees Fahrenheit in Phoenix, Arizona–
- Nearly a foot of rain fell within eight hours in New Orleans–
- The area west of Mooresville, North Carolina, had baseball-size hail–
- Lake Kemp, Texas, had baseball-size hail–
- Red River flood peaked in Manitoba–
- Tornadoes struck Oklahoma, killing 44 people and causing $1.3 billion in damage.–
- Powerful Cyclone Nargis slammed into Myanmar’s Irrawaddy delta–