Daily Calendar for Thursday, June 1, 2023
Question of the Day
What is the traditional gift for a 15th wedding anniversary?
Crystal is traditionally given on this anniversary. The contemporary equivalent is a watch.
Advice of the Day
Wear a necklace of nutmeg to remove freckles or cold sores.
Home Hint of the Day
To freshen a garbage disposal, dump in a tray of ice cubes made from vinegar and water, then turn on the water and run the disposal as usual.
Word of the Day
Fear of the northern lights
Puzzle of the Day
My number, definite and known, is ten times ten, told ten times o’er;Though half of me is one alone, and half exceeds all count and score.
- Francis Edgar Stanley (American inventor) –
- Freelan Oscar Stanley (American inventor) –
- Marilyn Monroe (actress) –
- Andy Griffith (actor) –
- Pat Boone (singer) –
- Morgan Freeman (actor) –
- Teri Polo (actress) –
- Heidi Klum (model) –
- Alanis Morissette (singer & songwriter) –
- James Buchanan (15th U.S. president) –
- Leslie Howard (actor) –
- Helen Keller (blind, deaf, and mute author) –
- Yves Saint Laurent (fashion designer) –
- Julian and Adrian Riester (92-year-old identical twin friars died hours apart, each from heart failure) –
- Ann B. Davis (actress) –
- Earthquake shook Plymouth, MA–
- Kentucky admitted into the Union as the 15th state–
- Tennessee admitted into the Union as the 16th state–
- Captain James Lawrence ordered crew, Don’t give up the ship!–
- A lake appeared this month in Salton Sink, Colorado Desert, California–
- Corning Glass Works in N.Y. announced the invention of photosensitive glass–
- The Cable News Network (CNN) made its debut–
- Thirteen-year old Katharine Close spelled “ursprache” correctly to win the 79th Annual Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee. She was the first champion ever from New Jersey–
- Hail up to four inches in diameter fell in parts of Maine during a series of severe thunderstorms across central and northern New England–
- Thirty-nine degrees F in Springfield, Illinois–
- An EF-3 tornado caused extensive damage from Westfield to Charlton, Massachusetts–
- 1” snow, Delta Junction, Alaska–