Daily Calendar for Saturday, June 10, 2023
Question of the Day
How do egg producers know they are putting good eggs on the market?
Shortly after an egg is laid, it is placed in front of a light source that reveals the condition of the innards. This process, called candling, can detect cracks in the shell or harmless but unappetizing blood spots on the yolk. It also reveals the size of the egg’s air cell: the smaller the cell, the better the egg.
Advice of the Day
Fruit trees will drop a few fruits this month—no cause for alarm unless it’s excessive.
Home Hint of the Day
Set fence posts on a couple of inches of crushed stone, then pour an additional 2 inches of stone around the posts before filling in with either soil or cement. This will allow for drainage at the base and deter rotting.
Word of the Day
Fear of extreme cold, frost, or ice
Puzzle of the Day
The numerical state(s). (Abbreviations of U.S. states)
MI (1,001 in Roman numerals), Tenn (10), and MD (1,500 in Roman numerals).
- Gustave Courbet (painter) –
- Hattie McDaniel (actress; the first African American to win an Academy Award) –
- Judy Garland (actress & singer) –
- Eugene Parker (American astrophysicist; proposed the idea of solar wind in 1958 ) –
- F. Lee Bailey (attorney) –
- Jim Shea (Olympic gold medalist, Men’s Skeleton) –
- Pokey Reese (baseball player) –
- Tara Lipinski (figure skater) –
- Princess Madeleine of Sweden –
- Leelee Sobieski (actress) –
- Sir Robert Laird Borden (Canadian prime minister) –
- Spencer Tracy (actor) –
- Louis L'Amour (author) –
- John Gotti (gangster) –
- Ray Charles (singer) –
- John A. Eddy (solar astronomer, coined the term Maunder Minimum) –
- Gordie Howe (hockey player) –
- Bridget Bishop was the first person to be hanged at the Salem Witch trials–
- Ben Franklin’s kite and key experiment proved lightning is electricity–
- Canada Constitution Act is passed by British Parliament, creating Upper and Lower Canada–
- Phoenix steamboat first in U.S. to sail on open sea–
- First boat race between Oxford and Cambridge–
- The United States Naval Academy graduated its first students–
- U.S. Marines landed at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba–
- Alcoholics Anonymous founded –
- The Deep premiered–
- United States War Dogs Memorial was dedicated, Holmdel, New Jersey–
- Yakutat, Alaska, reached 87 degrees F, a record for that town–