Daily Calendar for Tuesday, July 25, 2023
Question of the Day
Are there parts of the country where thunderstorms occur only at night?
Thunderstorms tend to develop at certain times of day, depending on geography, but we haven’t heard of a place where storms are exclusive to a particular time. The southeastern United States seems to have most of its thunderstorms in the middle of the night, and Kansas City, Missouri, and Minneapolis get more thunderstorms at 2:00 A.M. than at any other time of day. The flat landscape, and its effect on the sky, is largely responsible for this nighttime phenomenon. In the high plains from Montana to Texas, the cool fronts that often form in late spring and summer are responsible for afternoon and evening thunderstorms when they meet up with hot, humid air coming off the plains. These storms roll east into the late evening.
Advice of the Day
Now the state of the crops is known.
Home Hint of the Day
Mildew on fabric can be removed by sponging with hydrogen peroxide, then leaving the item in the sun to dry.
Word of the Day
From Mrs. Bloomer, an American, who sought to introduce this style of dress. A costume for women, consisting of a short dress, with loose trousers gathered round ankles, and (commonly) a broad-brimmed hat.
Puzzle of the Day
(Blank) sometimes wound worse than a (Blank). (The two 5-letter words to fill the blanks share the same letters.)
1) Words 2) sword
- Anna Tuthill Symmes Harrison (U.S. First Lady) –
- Thomas Eakins (artist) –
- Walter Brennan (actor) –
- Eric Hoffer (philosopher) –
- Estelle Getty (American actress ) –
- Matt LeBlanc (actor) –
- Gerard Warren (football player) –
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge (poet) –
- Harry Warner (one of the founders of Warner Bros.) –
- Louis Stephen Saint Laurent (12th Prime Minister of Canada) –
- Thomas Savage (novelist) –
- Jake (dog that searched for September 11th and Hurricane Katrina victims) –
- Walter Hunt was granted a patent for a paper shirt collar–
- Ulysses S. Grant received the rank of General of the Army, the first American officer to be so designated–
- Seth Wheeler’s Improvement in Wrapping Papers was patented on this day, which led to perforated toilet paper.–
- Canadian income tax introduced–
- The Italian ocean liner SS Andrea Doria collided with the SS Stockholm in heavy fog–
- The first documented test tube baby, Louise Brown, was born in England–
- Soviet cosmonaut, Svetlana Savitskaya, became the first woman to walk in space–
- Germany’s Kuno the Killer catfish’s carcass washed up on shore. The 5-foot-long, 77 pound catfish sprang from the waters of Volksgarden Park Lake in 2001 to swallow a dachshund puppy whole–
- A magnitude-5.6 earthquake struck southwestern Montana–
- 24-hour (July 24 to 25), 43-inch rainfall, Alvin, Texas–