Daily Calendar for Tuesday, August 8, 2023
Question of the Day
Can I make my new copper weather vane look like an old one?
If you’re looking for that green-tint effect, an effective method is to bury the vane in a pile of manure for two weeks — but you may have some explaining to do to your neighbors.
Advice of the Day
Broad fingernails indicate a gentle, timid, and bashful nature.
Home Hint of the Day
To keep leather furniture supple, apply a good leather dressing (such as neat’s-foot oil or saddle soap) with a soft cloth. Let it sit for 2 hours or so, then wipe off any excess. For a glossy finish, apply a neutral shoe polish and buff.
Word of the Day
The amount of moisture in the air compared to the maximum amount of moisture the air could hold at a given temperature; measured as a precentage of saturation.
Puzzle of the Day
The Golden State.(Name the U.S. state!)
- Matthew Henson (explorer) –
- Benny Carter (musician) –
- Dustin Hoffman (actor) –
- Connie Stevens (singer & actress) –
- David Evans (The Edge, guitarist in the band U2) –
- JC Chasez (singer) –
- Drew Lachey (singer) –
- Shawn Mendes (musician) –
- Shirley Jackson (author) –
- Louise Brooks (actress) –
- James Irwin (astronaut) –
- Barbara Bel Geddes (actress) –
- Patricia Neal (actress) –
- Performer Signor Guillermo Farini’s stilts got caught as he walked the rapids above Niagara Falls–
- Thomas Edison received a patent for his mimeograph (an early paper copying machine)–
- U.S. patent #1,000,000 issued for an improved vehicle tire–
- Canada’s Hundred Days began, WWI–
- The German airship Graf Zeppelin began an around-the-world flight–
- Florence Chadwick swam English Channel in 13 hours 20 minutes–
- The Glasgow to London mail train was stopped at Sears Crossing, and robbed of over two-and-a-half million pounds. The incident became known as The Great Train Robbery–
- President Richard Nixon announced his resignation–
- Garfield’s sidekick, Odie, made his comic strip debut–
- Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley raised to the surface after 136 years on the ocean floor–
- First red-footed falcon (Falco vespertinus) ever recorded in the Western Hemisphere spotted at Katama Airfield, Edgartown (Martha’s Vineyard), Massachusetts, by E. Vernon Laux–
- Michigan received 6 inches of snow and slush–
- Tornado touched down in Brooklyn, New York–