Daily Calendar for Tuesday, September 5, 2023
Question of the Day
Can you please tell me where I should go to see the “horns” of the Moon pointing up?
Around 18 to 28 degrees north latitude, the horns of the Moon at times point directly up. This happens just after sunset in the west, near the horizon, for a waxing Moon and just before sunrise in the east, near the horizon, for a waning moon. The same is true at around 18 to 28 degrees south latitude—just exchange east and west. A beautiful picture of the Moon with its horns pointing upward (but not straight up) is visible over a much wider area. In the United States, southern Florida is a great place to see this.
Advice of the Day
Wisdom is common sense in an uncommon degree.
Home Hint of the Day
Don’t forget to paint the top and bottom edges of a door, interior or exterior. Moisture will seep into any unfinished surface and cause the door to swell.
Word of the Day
1/6 inch; used in printing for measuring column width, etc.
Puzzle of the Day
The Palmetto State.(Name the U.S. state!)
- Louis VIII of France –
- Tommaso Campanella (philosopher) –
- Johann Christian Bach (composer) –
- Jesse James (outlaw) –
- Napoleon "Nap" Lajoie (baseball player) –
- Bob Newhart (actor) –
- Raquel Welch (actress) –
- Freddie Mercury (singer) –
- Michael Keaton (actor) –
- Dweezil Zappa (musician) –
- Skandar Keynes (actor) –
- Saint (Mother Teresa of Calcutta missionary) –
- Leo Penn (director) –
- Great Fire of London ended–
- Russia’s Peter the Great imposed a tax on beards–
- First Continental Congress opened, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania–
- First standardized naval uniforms adopted for U.S.–
- The Central Labor Union in New York organized the first Labor Day parade–
- A treaty of peace signed in Portsmouth, NH, ending the Russo-Japanese war–
- USS Mount Vernon torpedoed by German submarine off France–
- Boris Pasternak’s Doctor Zhivago published in the U.S.–
- Cassius Clay won an Olympic gold medal for boxing–
- Lynette Fromme attempted to assassinate U.S. President Gerald Ford–
- After 30 years, ABC canceled TV show American Bandstand–
- Lake water DNA analysis showed no evidence of the Loch Ness Monster (but perhaps a giant eel)–
- 112 degrees F, Centreville, Alabama–
- The temperature in Portland, Oregon, reached 102 degrees F–