Daily Calendar for Monday, October 23, 2023
Question of the Day
When did we figure out a vaccine for rabies?
Louis Pasteur cured a nine-year-old boy, Joseph Meister, with the vaccine he developed in 1885.
Advice of the Day
The swallows leave San Juan Capistrano, California, today.
Home Hint of the Day
Capping a chimney can make cleaning difficult and force the flames of a chimney fire down toward the roof, so install a chimney cap only if you have severe water or downdraft problems.
Word of the Day
A planet that is above the western horizon at sunset and less than 180° east of the Sun in right ascension.
Puzzle of the Day
Why are two pints of strawberries after they are eaten like persons singing?
They are a quart-et (eaten).
- Francis Hopkinson Smith (author) –
- John William Heisman (football player) –
- William David Coolidge (physicist) –
- Gertrude Ederle (first woman to swim the English Channel) –
- Johnny Carson (comedian & television host) –
- Pele (soccer player) –
- Michael Crichton (author) –
- Weird Al Yankovic (musician) –
- Doug Flutie (football player) –
- Ryan Reynolds (actor) –
- Masiela Lusha (actress, author) –
- Zane Grey (author) –
- Adolph Green (author & lyricist) –
- Madame Chiang Kai-shek (became one of the world’s most famous women as she helped her husband fight the Japanese during World War II and later the Chinese Communists) –
- Robert Merrill (baritone) –
- 25,000 women marched in New York City demanding the right to vote–
- Charlie Chaplin married Mildred Harris–
- Researchers at the University of Toronto announced the development of an electronic cardiac pacemaker–
- Cumberland mine disaster–
- Garfield the Cat’s lovable teddy bear, Pooky, made his comic strip debut–
- Flood “swept all the fences off” in Newbury, Vermont–
- Newbury, Vermont, received 12 inches of snow, which stayed until spring–
- 1 foot of snow fell in Haverhill, New Hampshire–
- A hurricane hit Philadelphia, Pennsylvania–
- A tornado hit Cass County, Indiana, around mid-afternoon–
- Major flooding occurred in Chickasha, Oklahoma–
- The Neches River in southeast Texas was 8 feet above flood stage due to heavy rain–
- Hurricane Patricia, a Category 5, became the strongest hurricane ever recorded in the Western hemisphere, with maximum sustained winds near 200 mph.–