Daily Calendar for Wednesday, October 25, 2023
Question of the Day
What is the weather proverb regarding crows and rain?
In the pages of our old Almanacs, we found this one: “Crow on the fence, rain will go hence. Crow on the ground, rain will come down.”
Advice of the Day
Stand on your head underwater to cure a cold.
Home Hint of the Day
To avoid termite attacks, make sure that wooden siding and other wooden structural elements do not come into contact with the soil. A distance of 18 inches between soil and house parts is fairly standard today.
Word of the Day
An imaginary sphere projected into space that represents the entire sky, with an observer on Earth at its center. All celestial bodies other than Earth are imagined as being on its inside surface.
Puzzle of the Day
Why is there a difference of only two letters of the alphabet between an accepted and a rejected love?
One kisses his miss, and the other misses his kiss.
- Geoffrey Chaucer (poet) –
- Ariel Durant (historian) –
- Vincent Price (actor) –
- Sen. Paul Wellstone (Minnesota congressman) –
- Richard Harris (actor) –
- Nigel Davenport (actor) –
- Johann Strauss, the Younger (composer; The Blue Danube) –
- Georges Bizet (composer) –
- John Francis Dodge (manufacturer) –
- Pablo Picasso (Spanish painter ) –
- Minnie Pearl (comedienne & singer) –
- John Berryman (poet) –
- Marion Ross (actress) –
- Anne Tyler (author) –
- Ed Robertson (musician) –
- Pedro Martinez (baseball pitcher) –
- Katy Perry (singer) –
- Ciara (singer) –
- George III became King of Great Britain–
- Leslie L. Curtis granted a U.S. patent for an air brush device–
- S.S. Princess Sophia sank near Juneau, Alaska–
- Carlsbad Caverns National Monument established in New Mexico–
- Archibald J. Turner was granted a patent for a football shoulder pad–
- Ken Jennings passed the $2 million mark on Jeopardy!, shattering his previous $1 million record set July 13, 2004–
- Hideki Okajima of the Boston Red Sox became the first Japanese-born pitcher to play in a World Series game–