Daily Calendar for Wednesday, November 8, 2023
Question of the Day
I always get confused about the amount of time it takes to thaw a turkey in the refrigerator. What’s the formula?
Allow about five hours of defrosting time for every one pound of turkey. That could be several days for a big turkey, so plan accordingly.
Advice of the Day
To cure hiccups, eat crushed ice. If that fails, apply ice to the larynx.
Home Hint of the Day
Before winter arrives, make sure registers and convectors are open, unblocked by furniture and rugs. Keep furniture from blocking off the flow of air to and from radiators.
Word of the Day
One of three sea nymphs, — or, according to some writers, of two, — said to frequent an island near the coast of Italy, and to sing with such sweetness that they lured mariners to destruction.
Puzzle of the Day
If all the letters of the alphabet were asked out to dinner, why could they not all go together?
Because six always go after tea (T).
- Edmond Halley (English astronomer) –
- John Dickinson (lawyer) –
- Milton Bradley (manufacturer) –
- Bram Stoker (author) –
- Dorothy Day (reformer) –
- Margaret Mitchell (novelist) –
- Patti Page (singer) –
- Bonnie Raitt (singer) –
- Alfre Woodard (actress) –
- Gordon Ramsay (chef) –
- Courtney Thorne-Smith (actress) –
- Parker Posey (actress) –
- John Milton (poet) –
- Norman Rockwell (artist) –
- Bil Keane (cartoonist; creator of comic strip Family Circus) –
- Alex Trebek (game show host) –
- Abraham Lincoln reelected as U.S. president–
- Montana was admitted to the Union as the 41st state–
- X-rays discovered by German physicist Wilhelm Roentgen–
- William M. Frost’s electric insect destroyer patented–
- John F. Kennedy became the first Catholic to be elected president of the U.S.–
- The Royal Canadian Mint was ordered to change the 12-sided nickel back to a round shape–
- George H. W. Bush was elected president of the U.S.–
- First storm warning by US Signal Corps weather service issued for Great Lakes area by Prof. Increase Lapham of Milwaukee–
- One million Thanksgiving turkeys were smothered in two feet of snow in a South Dakota storm–
- Tropical Storm Gordon started today and slammed into Florida and Haiti as it was growing into a full-fledged hurricane–