Second Summer (also known as “Indian summer”) is a period of warm weather following a cold spell or a hard frost. It can occur between St. Martin’s Day (November 11) and November 20, although the Almanac adheres to the proverb, “If All Saints’ brings out winter, St. Martin’s brings out Indian summer.” As for the origin of the name, some say it comes from the Narragansett people, who believed that the condition was caused by a warm wind sent from the court of their southwestern god, Cautantowwit. Learn more about Second Summer.
Daily Calendar for Sunday, November 12, 2023
Question of the Day
If a recipe calls for one pound of eggs, how many would that be?
Approximately nine eggs equals one pound.
Advice of the Day
The time to harvest parsnips or turnips is after a hard frost.
Home Hint of the Day
When burning a kerosene lamp, make sure you have at least 18 inches of air space above the chimney. Otherwise, the heat rising from the chimney can be enough to catch something on fire.
Word of the Day
Strong and tight; sound; firm; as, a stanch ship.
Puzzle of the Day
Why was the giant Goliath very much astonished when David hit him with a stone?
Because such a thing had never entered his head before.
- Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz (poet) –
- Elizabeth Cady Stanton (reformer) –
- Auguste Rodin (sculptor) –
- Harry Andrew Blackmun (lawyer) –
- Joseph Coors (brewer) –
- Kim Hunter (actress) –
- Grace Kelly (actress and later known as Her Serene Highness Princess Grace of Monaco) –
- Neil Young (musician) –
- Megan Mullally (actress) –
- Nadia Comaneci (gymnast) –
- Ryan Gosling (actor) –
- Anne Hathaway (actress) –
- Eve Arden (actress) –
- Bill Dickey (baseball player) –
- Billy Guy (singer) –
- Jonathan Brandis (actor) –
- Ira Levin (author) –
- San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge opened–
- Ellis Island federal immigration station closed in N.Y./N.J.–
- Largest iceberg on record (208 miles long, 60 miles wide) discovered by U.S.S. Glacier–
- First episode of Absolutely Fabulous aired–
- Voters OK‘d creation of Nunavut territory–
- A heavy snowstorm hit all of New England–