Daily Calendar for Wednesday, November 22, 2023
Question of the Day
What is the process for amending the U.S. Constitution?
A proposed amendment must pass Congress with the support of 67 percent of both the House and the Senate. Then it is referred to the states, where each state legislature must pass it. (Generally, the 67 percent rule applies there as well.) When 75 percent of the states have passed the amendment, the Constitution is altered. The founders of our country designed the system to be cumbersome so that it would be very difficult to change the original document and to ensure agreement among the majority of citizens.
Advice of the Day
It is unlucky to bring an umbrella aboard ship.
Home Hint of the Day
Old whitewash, a liquid plaster made from slaked lime, is best removed with a combination of vinegar and elbow grease. Brush on the vinegar, then scrape with a putty knife.
Word of the Day
A cry or noise made to express displeasure or contempt.
Puzzle of the Day
Why is a pair of skates like an apple?
Because they have both caused the fall of man.
- René-Robert Cavelier, sieur de La Salle (explorer) –
- William Evans (Irish-born Canadian agronomist) –
- George Eliot (author) –
- Charles de Gaulle (French general, writer, & statesman) –
- Wiley Post (first pilot to fly solo around the world) –
- Rodney Dangerfield (comedian & actor) –
- Geraldine Page (actress) –
- Gunther Schuller (composer) –
- Robert Vaughn (actor) –
- Terry Gilliam (actor) –
- Billie Jean King (tennis player) –
- Jamie Lee Curtis (actress) –
- Mark Ruffalo (actor) –
- Boris Becker (tennis player) –
- Scarlett Johansson (actress) –
- Blackbeard (pirate) –
- George W. G. Ferris Jr. (inventor of the Ferris wheel) –
- Jack London (writer) –
- C.S. Lewis (author) –
- John F. Kennedy (35th U.S. president) –
- Mae West (actress) –
- Henry Hampton (documentary filmmaker) –
- Mary Kay Ash (entrepreneur) –
- British clipper Cutty Sark launched–
- Actress Lillian Russell debuted at Tony Pastor’s Theatre, New York City–
- Statue of Liberty began role as first U.S. lighthouse to use electricity–
- National Hockey League established at Montreal–
- Humane Society of the United States founded–
- President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, Texas, and Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in as the 36th U.S. president–
- Margaret Thatcher resigned as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom–
- Race car driver Jimmie Johnson set a NASCAR record by winning his fourth consecutive championship–
- The first flakes of a storm that left 56 inches of snow in Randolph, New Hampshire, began falling–
- Erie, Pennsylvania, received 26 inches of snow–
- A storm caused a deadly mudslide in Prince Rupert, British Columbia–
- Santa Ana winds from Oxnard to San Diego and inland parts of southern California made airborne rubble a hazard–