Daily Calendar for Friday, November 24, 2023
Question of the Day
Do cars feel the effects of the windchill factor?
No. The temperature of the wind should have no effect on a car whatsoever. Wind can cause a car’s engine to cool down faster if it’s parked outside, but its ultimate temperature will be unaffected.
Advice of the Day
After a dinner party, offer your guests anise seeds; they can be chewed to aid digestion and freshen breath.
Home Hint of the Day
When building or repairing a stone wall, use the oldest rule in masonry: One over two and two over one. If the stones overlap, the wall will be stronger.
Word of the Day
Civilian garb as opposed to a military uniform.
Puzzle of the Day
What is the difference between a locomotive and a hound?
One runs on the track, and the other tracks on the run.
- Zachary Taylor (12th U.S. president) –
- Frances Eliza Hodgson Burnett (novelist) –
- Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec (artist) –
- Scott Joplin (pianist, King of Ragtime) –
- Cathleen Nesbitt (actress) –
- Garson Kanin (playwright) –
- Steve Yeager (baseball player) –
- Brad Sherwood (comedian) –
- Colin Hanks (actor) –
- Katherine Heigl (actress) –
- Lee Harvey Oswald (suspected assassin of President John F. Kennedy) –
- Freddie Mercury (musician) –
- John Rawls (leading figure in political philosophy and legal theory) –
- Warren Spahn (American baseball player) –
- Pat Morita (actor) –
- The transit of Venus was first observed–
- Justus Falckner became the first Lutheran pastor ordained in America (Philadelphia)–
- Charles Darwin’s controversial Origin of Species published–
- First national Thanksgiving celebration–
- Joseph Glidden granted patent for barbed wire fencing–
- Cape Breton Railway opened, Nova Scotia–
- Ruth Nichols became the first woman to fly a transcontinental flight–
- Lee Harvey Oswald, accused by Dallas police of assassinating President Kennedy, was shot and killed by Jack Ruby in the basement of the Dallas municipal building while in police custody–
- 239-lb. yellowfin tuna caught off Catalina Island, California–
- 14.04-pound saugeye caught, Antrim Lake, Ohio–
- In what became known as the “Battle Above the Clouds,” the Union army, aided by clouds obscuring the battlefield, was victorious at Lookout Mountain near Chattanooga–