Daily Calendar for Monday, December 18, 2023
Question of the Day
When making meringue pie, should refrigerated eggs or room temperature eggs be used?
Use eggs at room temperature next time you make a meringue pie. Cold eggs cause problems in foam and sponge recipes because, when beaten, they do not increase in volume as much as warm eggs do. In general, all ingredients should be brought to room temperature (between 65 and 70°F) before baking.
Advice of the Day
Kindnesses, like grain, increase by sowing.
Home Hint of the Day
To get any part of your project perfectly vertical, hang a plumb line. A plumb line is a heavy object on a string. When the object is at rest, the string is perfectly vertical. For the most accurate readings, use a tool called a plumb bob.
Word of the Day
Alaska’s name comes from an Aleut word meaning “great land.”
Puzzle of the Day
When a person falls out a window, what does he always fall against?
Against his will
- Edward MacDowell (composer) –
- Ty Cobb (baseball player) –
- Betty Grable (actress) –
- Steven Spielberg (director) –
- Ray Liotta (actor ) –
- Brad Pitt (actor) –
- Katie Holmes (actress) –
- Christina Aguilera (singer) –
- Billie Eilish (singer) –
- Chris Farley (actor) –
- Joe Barbera (half of the Hanna-Barbera animation team that made cartoon characters such as Tom and Jerry, Yogi Bear, and the Flintstones) –
- Majel Barrett-Roddenberry (actress and producer) –
- Connie Hines (actress) –
- Zsa Zsa Gabor (actress and socialite) –
- The Great Comet reached perihelion–
- New Jersey became the third state to ratify the U.S. Constitution–
- John William Draper took the first photo of the Moon–
- The 13th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, prohibiting slavery, went into effect–
- National Anti-Saloon League was founded–
- U.S. President Woodrow Wilson married Edith B. Galt, a descendent of Pocahontas–
- Civil rights activist Rosa McCauley married Raymond Parks–
- Giant panda, Basi, celebrated her 25th birthday at China’s Fuzhou Zoo. (She far surpassed the normal panda life expectancy of 12 years!)–
- Central Park in New York City experienced a record low temperature of 10 degrees below zero F–
- A sudden gale of wind of almost cyclonic force blew through Howe, Indiana, and caused snowballs to form spontaneously and roll along the ground like tumbleweeds–
- Freezing rain in the Memphis, Tennessee, area caused 170 evening auto accidents–