Daily Calendar for Wednesday, December 27, 2023
Question of the Day
What is the significance of the dreidel game that children play at Chanukah?
In ancient times, Jews living in Syrian lands were prohibited from reading their holy book, “The Torah.” However, many adults continued to do so, but kept a dreidel (a small top-lik toy) nearby. If officials entered their home, they could quickly hide their books and pretend to be playing a game.
Advice of the Day
Use clean, empty milk jugs to store sand or commercial ice-melting products.
Home Hint of the Day
You can dry woven wool garments on hangers. Knitted wool clothing should be laid flat to dry; it will stretch if hung.
Word of the Day
Fear of cold
Puzzle of the Day
Did Jonah cry when the whale swallowed him?
He thought he was going to blubber, but he didn’t.
- Johannes Kepler (astronomer) –
- Sir George Cayley (Father of Aviation) –
- Louis Pasteur (chemist) –
- Louis Bromfield (writer) –
- Charles Olson (poet) –
- Cokie Roberts (journalist) –
- Tovah Feldshuh (actress) –
- Heather O'Rourke (actress) –
- Carson Palmer (football player) –
- Emilie de Ravin (actress) –
- Gustave Eiffel (architect) –
- Lester Pearson (Canadian prime minister) –
- Hoagy Carmichael (composer) –
- George Roy Hill (director) –
- Sir Alan Bates (actor) –
- Norman Schwarzkopf (Army general) –
- Carrie Fisher (actress) –
- An ill youth in Rochester, New York, wrote in his diary: I don’t see no need of being sick now that school is out. Darn it!–
- Prohibitionist Carry Nation carried out her first public smashing of a bar at the Carey Hotel in Wichita, Kansas–
- J. M. Barrie’s play Peter Pan premiered in London–
- Radio City Music Hall opened in New York City–
- Rubber rationing began in the U.S. with restrictions placed on rubber tires–
- The first episode of The Howdy Doody Show aired–
- ALH 84001 Mars meteorite found in Antarctica–
- Steve Largent’s 752nd career catch set NFL record–
- Parts of Tennessee had the heaviest snowfall seen in that state in 25 years–
- 12.5 inches of snow fell in Dumas, Texas–