Wondering how to hypnotize a chicken? Learn to calm a high-strung bird with the oscillating finger method or sternum stroke method.
Oscillating Finger Method
1) Place the chicken on its side with a wing under its body. Hold it down gently with one hand. Note: You will want to make sure its head is flat on the table.
2) Using a finger from your other free hand, move your finger back and forth in front of the bird’s beak. The key is to go from the tip of its beak (without actually touching the beak) to a point that is about four inches from the beak.
3) Keeping the finger in a parallel line to the beak, repeat the motion until the bird is out.
Sternum Stroke Method
1) Place the bird gently on its back. Note: You may have to use an item to keep the bird from rolling to its side.
2) Hold the bird down with one hand.
3) With your free hand, lightly massage the bird’s sternum with your thumb and index finger slightly spread out.
4) Repeat until the bird is out.
See more about chickens in our Raising Chickens 101 blog!