October 12, 2009
The Native American art of making apple heads is both easy and fun. Follow these instructions for a creative fall craft.
- Choose a big apple and start by peeling it.
- Then, with a sharp knife, form the nose, make eye sockets, and cut a line for the mouth.
- Carve around the mouth to accentuate the cheeks, and make some lines around the eyes and on the forehead.
- Soak the head in lemon juice for about ½ hour (so it doesn’t turn brown) before hanging it to dry.
- When the head is almost dry, add peppercorn or bean eyes. Use your imagination to make some hair and a body to go with the head.