Make scented lavender sachets with dried lavender and, if you wish, other herbs. The bags will add a calming scent to bureau drawers to keep clothes or linens fresh-smelling, and also make great gifts!
Lavender is a wonderful herb that has long used as a natural remedy to aide insomnia and anxiety. It’s perfect to aide sleep or simply bring calm into a room. If you grow your own lavender, it’s a wonderful herb for drying. Store them in a lidded jar somewhere cool and dark, or pop them straight into a sachet to keep towels, sheets or clothes (especially socks!) smelling sweet and to repel moths. If you suffer from insomnia, try inserting the sachets into a pillow so the calming scent can help you drift off to a restful slumber.
See how to make a simple lavender sachet.
What You’ll Need
Use fresh lavender for a long-lasting scent. Find dried herbs at a local garden store or market.Or, perhaps you have some extra lavender after making lavender shortbread or lavender scones.
- You’ll also need a handkerchief or some scrap fabric (anything breathable plus scissors, needle, and thread.
- Optional: You can also mix the lavender with dried rice if you don’t have enough lavender.
- Optional: In addition to lavender, you can add other dried herbs such as rosemary.
Directions to Make Lavender Sachet
To make a simple sachet, here are the steps:
- Spread out and iron a handkerchief or any material that you like. (Try a gaily colored antique handkerchief which are easy to find at thrift stores and antiques shops, often selling for under $1.)
- Fold the handkerchief (or material of your choice) in half, right sides together, and sew up two adjacent sides (leaving one short side open), as if you were making a little pillowcase.
- Turn it right side out, fill it with dried lavender to within two inches of the top, and tie it tightly with a brightly colored ribbon. If you wish, you could also sew them up like little pillows (as below).
Photo credit: Greentellect/Shutterstock
Give the sachet as a gift, or tuck it into a sock or underwear drawer! Enjoy this craft and please let us know what you think below.