Need last-minute Halloween makeup to greet trick-or-treaters? Here are simple recipes for face paint and fake blood using items right from the pantry. No need to run any errands!
Wearing makeup is great for kids who hate wearing masks on their heads, too. Plus, some schools do not allow kids to wear masks to school for safety reasons.
Make Your Own White Makeup Base
A white makeup base is what you need to make a ghost face or a skeleton or a creepy clown.
- 2 tablespoons white shortening
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon white all-purpose flour
- Optional: Glycerin
Just mix together first three ingredients! To make texture creamer, add 3 to 4 drops glycerin. That’s it!
Make Your Own Face Paint Colors
Want to be a green hulk or a tiger lady or have flower power? Make your own DIY non-toxic face paint in any color. For each paint color, you will need:
- paper cup
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon cold cream
- ½ teaspoon water
- 2 drops food coloring (using color of your choice)
- small paintbrush, cotton swab, or cosmetic sponge
Put the cornstarch and cold cream into a paper cup and mix until blended. Add the water and food coloring, then stir.
Now you can apply to your face with a paintbrush, cotton swab, or cosmetic sponge!
Use a paintbrush or swab to apply the paint to your face. Remove with soap and water.
How to Make Fake Blood
Bleed with fake blood! Add “blood” dripping from your mouth and even your nose and eyes. You will need:
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- Optional: Flour (sifted) or cornstarch
Combine ingredients in a bowl and stir to blend. Add water, a few drops at a time, if the mixture is too thick, then stir.
If you need the mixture to thicken up further, add a thickening agent (flour or cornstarch) until you reach desired consistency. Let sit at room temperature for ten minutes.
Also, if you wish, apply the “blood” to your clothes and/or your body. (Be aware that the food coloring can stain fabric, so wear old clothing.)
Look like a monster or zombie with the help of some tissue or toilet paper! You are basically going to paper mache your own face!
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¾ cup corn syrup
- ¼ cup water
- 4 paper cups
- 3 food colorings
- tissue paper or 2-play toilet paper torn lengthwise into 2-inch strips
- Optional: puffed wheat cereal
In a bowl, mix together the cornstarch and flour. Add the corn syrup and water and stir until smooth. Divide the mixture into 4 paper cups. Add one food coloring to each of three of the cups. Stir each one. Keep the fourth mixture untinted.
- For “skin”: Paint some untinted mixture onto a section of your face. Place strips of tissues over it. Cover with more untinted mixture. Continue covering your face, one area at a time.
- Optional: To add “warts,” stick puffed wheat cereal to the untinted mixture on your face and cover with tissue paper.
For fun: When the mixture on your face is dry, use the colored mixtures to paint your face. To remove, wet your face and peel the tissue away. Wash your face with soap and water.
Have fun! Kids love face painting, too, because they can part of the action and get creative. If you have any great face-painting ideas, please post below!