Soothe Sore Throats with Salt, Lemon, Sage, Apple Cider Vinegar, and Ginger
Here is how I approach sore throat:
1. Identify the cause- virus, infection, bacteria? The underlying issue must be addressed. With most cold/flu issues I make a simple soup- boil onions, celery, garlic, carrots, green cabbage and veggie broth, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Early on in the sickness I boil fresh chunks of turmeric and ginger in there as well. Drink lots of herbal tea with ingredients like licorice root for throat soothing, chamomile to get extra rest which helps heal, and fennel is great too because it helps strengthen digestion which is great for the immune system. I also like manuka honey drops as well as honey and lemon in tea. I also take spirulina capsules for the incredible amounts of essential vitamins and minerals and/or 1 tbsp of sea moss if you can for the same reasons. I take elderberry as well in a syrup, capsule, or tea form. Finally I take oil of oregeno for fighting infection in capsule form bur tinctures are great too. I also take zinc, vitamin c, and vitamin D. I like to eat my favorite gluten free vegan bagels as well with finely chopped fresh garlic, hummus, and honey as well.
2. Once the underlying issue starts to clear up, I noticed at times the sore throat may linger. At this point its not so much fighting it but clearing the throat of buildup. For example, I may notice a few white bumps on my throat or tonsils. If I can, I try to take a cuetip and run it under very cold water and physically swab the white spots. This is one of the most effective methods at the very end if there is just a few spots, physically disrupting whatever is trying to live there is usually the most effective method for me. Just be careful, be gentle and meditative when swabbing a spot on your throat to avoid too much activation of the gag reflex and after each swab dispose of the cutip and get a fresh cutip before swabbing again.
3. Finally I gargle a number if things as mentioned above. I start by brushing my teeth to get a fresh mouth then gargle warm salt water. I clear out the salt with cold water and begin the next gargle. I then dissolve ginger powder in warm water and gargle that. I sip a few sips of the warm ginger water to get it into my gut as well. Rinse with cold water gargle. I then rinse with cayenne pepper gargle, take a few sips, rinse. Next I gargle with warm lemon water, take a few sips, rinse. Finally put turmeric powder in warm water, gargle, sip, rinse. The last thing I do is then seal it off with gargling and drinking cery cold ice water.
Remember body chemistry is complex and not just black and white. Inflammation or warmth in the throat us not the same as a muscle injury. A sore throat with no underlying illness like a virus or infection is not the same as a sore throat from singing or talking too much. Inflammation is necessary when healing and warm liquids with salt or herbs or spices allows the medicine to get into the blood and opens up the throat tissue to be able to absorb the medicines. After taking a number of warm healing approaches, the final stage of cold reduces the inflammation and soothes, but its after the warm healing session. Not to mention the cold icy water is mot necessarily needed when healing from a cold/flu/infection and will not solve the underlying issue, it can just be soothing.
1. If sinus drainage causes my sore throat, I mix 1/4 tsp of salt in 2 oz of boiled water. I ad minister with a dropper by nose.
2. I make keep grated ginger by the tsp frozen for various uses. I make a tea of ginger, lemon and raw honey.
BEST REMEDY FOR SORE THROAT I HAVE FOUND IS GARLIC, TAKE GARLIC PILL OR CHEW ON A CLOVE OF GARLIC & THE NEXT DAY THE SORE THROAT IS GONE. TRY IT & YOU WILL SEE
You NEVER, EVER use warm/hot liquids when trying to get rid of the swelling associated with a sore throat!!!! ALWAYS use ice, which will reduce the swelling!!!! I learned this from my voice teacher, years ago, and it works for me, specifically cracked ice, every 20 minutes!!! When a football player is injured, you don't see anyone applying heat to their swollen joint, ice is applied!!!! Check it out, I know what I'm espousing!!!
The capsaicin in sports rubs is what relieves pain. It's the same capsaicin that's in red pepper or jalapenos. Put half a cup of cider vinegar, half a cup of honey, and one pickled, seeded jalapeno in a blender, and liquify. Or stir the equivalent of red pepper into the honey/vinegar. Trickle it down your throat. I learned this from a pharmacist.
My voice teacher had me swallow cracked ice, every 20 minutes, for one hour, which reduces the swelling. I had a violent sore throat one Sunday morning when I was scheduled to sing a solo at church. With the cracked ice method, I had my voice in shape and sang my solo within 30 minutes!!! Also, she told me NEVER to use any hot beverages to treat a sore throat, ONLY very cold drinks, and of course the cracked ice method. Blanche knew of what she spoke, and I am the beneficiary, who is still singing at 83!!!!! Also never cover your throat/neck, because heat exacerbates the swelling. Athletes never use heat for an injury, only ice to reduce swelling.
Over the years we all get sore throat, some more painfully than others. I have found the best cure for sore throat skipping all that jazz about eating and drinking all kinds of stuff. Only certain people can tolerate my method, an absolute fix for sore throat for all time. @ night while sleeping take any blanket or sheet heavy or light and sleep with your head covered. Room temperature is the worst for sore throat due to air conditioning and different home heating elements. Breathing the warm air under the bed linen warms up your throat rather breathing in room temperatures. Breathing in the warm air under the linen also collects your own natural bodily moisture straight to the back of your the tender dried out throat. Lets say the situation even came up there is not bed linen or would like a different approach. Even an extra large hoodie or shirt (W/IT ON and closed off like a bag) works directly why because now you are taking the air off your chest. And as i said, only certain people can try this why?? Because people have a fear of suffication, trust me that will subside. My trick will take the sting off your sore throat in less than 15 minutes. The longer the better and I GUARANTEE YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY FORGET YOU EVEN HAD SORE THROAT THE MORNING AFTER!!!!
Since they always teach medicinal and homegrown ideas I have used Cayenne Pepper Powder for a sore throat. You get some hot/warm water and mix the powder in, according to how much of the heat/spice you can take. And sip it. It burns your throat and also the heat soothes and kills any bacteria that is starting. I have been doing this for 10 years and it works every time. It's also good for stuffy noses or sinus problems. Consult with your doctor if you have ulcers or aren't able to have spicy/hot herbs or foods.
My father made a syrup by alternating layers of chopped onions and dark brown sugar in a small soup/cereal bowl. He would let it sit for a few hours while it made a syrup. A teaspoon or two full of that made good work of my sore throat.