What can we do to help our bodies through the process healing a cold? Here are some natural remedies for your body and mind.
Natural Remedies to Provide Cold Relief
- Rose hip tea is full of vitamin C and can help prevent colds in advance.
- Lemons, oranges, and apple cider are all considered to be cold remedies.
- For chills, take fresh ginger root.
- Historically, the layers of the onion were believed to draw contagious diseases from the patient; onions were often hung in sickrooms. Today, we know that onions have antibacterial qualities.
- Cut up fresh garlic cloves and add them to chicken soup or other foods, or swallow small chunks of raw garlic like pills. Try Granny’s Best Chicken Soup.
- Eat loads of hot and spicy foods like chili to clear the sinuses.
- Like garlic and onion, horseradish generates lots of heat to help offset colds. According to one farmer we know, a daily horseradish sandwich is the best cold remedy out there!
- Prunes are rich in fiber, vitamins A and B, iron, calcium, and phosphorus. And they’ve been cured themselves!
- To treat sore lips, go to bed with honey on them.
- Troubled by cracked lips? Massage them with a dab of earwax (preferably your own!).
For a chest cold or bronchitis, try this remedy, submitted by one of our readers.
- Boil a whole onion, and afterward, drink the water. You can add a little butter and salt if the taste is unbearable!
Read more about ways to avoid the cold in the first place.