The Full Sturgeon Moon
The Full Moon for August 2020 rises this week. Here’s the date, time, and meaning of what we call the Full Sturgeon Moon—as well as Moon phases, best days by the Moon, and more.
Moon Phases for August 2020
See Moon phase dates and times below. Note: All dates and times are ET. Go to the Moon Phase Calendar for your time zone.
|Full Moon: August 3, 11:59 A.M.|
|Last Quarter: August 11, 12:45 P.M.|
|New Moon: August 18, 10:42 P.M.|
|First Quarter: August 25, 1:58 P.M.|
For your next full Moon, see our Full Moon Dates chart.
2020 Sturgeon Moon
In ancient times, the changing seasons were often tracked by the lunar month (not the solar month).
Today, we have adopted many of these full Moon names as a nod to the change of seasons, too. Think of it as a way to stay connected with the natural world around us.
Specifically, Native American peoples often named the months after “start of season” cues. These names could vary by groups, depending on where the people lived.
The Full Moon for August is called Sturgeon Moon because Native Americans knew that the giant sturgeon of the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain were most readily caught during this full Moon.
Other names for this Full Moon include ”Full Green Corn Moon,” signaling that the corn was nearly ready for harvest, “Wheat Cut Moon,” “Moon When All Things Ripen,” and ”Blueberry Moon.”
What a Sturgeon?
These prehistoric-looking fish have been traced back to around 136 million years ago and many people call them “living fossils.”
- Females require around 20 years to start reproducing, and they can only reproduce every 4 years. However, they can live up to 150 years!
- Today, there are about 29 species worldwide, including the lake sturgeon found in the Great Lakes. They have evolved in size from the size of a bass to monster sturgeon as big as a Volkswagen.
- The lake sturgeon is quite rare today, due to intense overfishing in the 19th century, pollution, and damage to their habitat.
The word “sturgeon” means “the stirrer,” which is what this giant fish does when it is looking for food; it stirs up the mud and silt on river and lake bottoms. Notice the pointed snout and whisker-like tactile organs near the mouth. Credit: Tennessee Aquarium.
Full Sturgeon Moon Video
Each month, we will explain the traditional names of the Full Moon along with some fascinating facts. In this video, learn about the Full Sturgeon Moon. Click below to watch the video.
Best Days in August 2020
Below are the Best Days for activities based on the Moon’s sign and phase in August.
For Cutting Hay:
- 7, 8, 9
To Quit Smoking:
- 5, 9, 27
For Cutting Hair to slow down growth:
- 5, 6
- Clothes washed for the first time in the full Moon will not last long.
- If you glimpse the new Moon over your right shoulder, you will have good luck.
- To have a project prosper, start it during the new Moon.
- Babies born a day after the full Moon enjoy success and endurance.
Share your thoughts about this month’s moon below!