Learn about the Full Moon for September 2018—the Full Corn Moon—plus, see Moon phase dates, Best Days by the Moon, folklore, and more!
Moon Phases for September 2018
Here are Moon phase dates and times (EDT). See the Moon Phase Calendar for your city’s dates and times.
|Last Quarter: September 2, 5:54 A.M.|
|New Moon: September 9, 2:01 P.M.|
|First Quarter: September 16, 7:15 P.M.|
|Full Moon: September 24, 10:52 P.M.|
For your next full Moon, see our Full Moon Dates chart.
September Full Moon Names
The September full Moon is usually known as the Full Corn Moon because it traditionally corresponds with the time of harvesting corn. It is also called the Barley Moon because this is the time to harvest and thresh ripened barley.
Some other traditional September Full Moon names used by Native Americans include:
- “Moon When the Plums Are Scarlet” by the Lakota Sioux Native Americans.
- “Moon When the Deer Paw the Earth” by the Omaha Native Americans.
- “Moon When the Calves Grow Hair” by the Sioux Native Americans
The Harvest Moon
This year, the September Moon is also called the Harvest Moon. The Harvest Moon is the Moon that falls nearest the autumnal equinox; this full Moon provides the most light at the time when it’s needed most—to complete the harvest!
Photo Credit: Almanac reader, Robin Osbon
September Full Moon Video
Why does the Moon ride high or low in the sky? Find out the answer to this question—and learn more about September’s Full Moon—in this entertaining video.
Best Days in September 2018
Below are the best days for activities, based on the Moon’s sign and phase in September.
- Aboveground crops: 118, 19
- Belowground crops: 8, 27, 28
For Setting Eggs:
- 1–3, 19, 20, 29, 30
Moon Facts & Folklore
- Usually the Moon rises about 50 minutes later each day, but around the time of the autumnal equinox, it rises only around 30 minutes in the United States—even less in Canada.
- Frost occurring in the dark of the moon kills fruit buds and blossoms, but frost in the light of the moon will not.
Are you a full Moon lover? Share your thoughts below!