The July birthstone, the ruby, was regarded by ancient Hindus as the “king of gems.”
The birthstone for July was believed to protect its wearer from evil, whether worn as a necklace, ring, or other jewelry.
July Birthstone Color
- Rubies are known for their beautiful red color. In fact, “ruby” is derived from the Latin rubeus, which means “red.”
- Their color may range from deep blood red to paler rose red.
- Symbolically, the ruby’s deep-red color means love and passion.
Birthstone Facts & Folklore
- One of the largest rubies in the world is called the “Peace” ruby because it was found in 1919 shortly after World War I ended.
- If you own a ruby, you will live in harmony with all people and be protected from danger. If you dream of a ruby, you will have good luck.
- This gem is a red form of corundum; all other colors are sapphires. The ruby’s color is due to the presence of chromium, which also makes the gem subject to cracks. High-quality rubies are a transparent, vibrant, purplish red; cloudier samples, or ones containing brown, orange, or pink tones, are less valuable. Many rubies nowadays are heat-treated to improve color saturation and transparency.
- The ruby, along with the related sapphire, are the second hardest natural gemstones, with only the diamond being harder.
- The gem was once thought to protect warriors if worn on their armor or embedded in their skin.
- Considered the king of gems, the ruby symbolizes love, passion, energy, and success.