Planting, Growing, and Harvesting Spinach
- A pinch of baking soda in the cooking water keeps spinach greener.
- Refresh wilted spinach by placing it in a bowl of ice water for a few minutes before using it.
- Spinach boosts your brainpower, but it can hinder iron absorption. For better absorption of iron, eat spinach with orange slices.
- Raw, young spinach is best in salads and smoothies; more mature spinach is excellent sautéed in heated olive oil.
- Embrace your leafy greens! Learn more about the health benefits of going green!
I've come across "page not found" when accessing in various vegetable articles for "health benefits of going green".
At 82, need all the health I can get. Thanks
Thanks for letting us know the link was broken! Here’s the article: https://www.almanac.com/go-leafy-greens
I use some baby spinach, salads only as it has barely any flavor. I prefer full-grown old fashioned regular spinach, which has a full earthy flavor and best for cooking and soups. It is now hard to find in the markets, which is a shame. It is a true dark green leafy vegetable giving great nutrition. I have been able to get it in one supermarket chain. Please tell me where I can get this to plant in my garden.
I had the same problem not finding Curly leaf green Spinach; I found some @ Stop&Shop CT; ask the produce manager; ty; :)
Hi Patti, Here is a great source for spinach. This company carries the original and heirloom spinach seeds so I think you’ll find a variety to suit you!
I have harvested and enjoyed all the spinach I planted (first time grower), do I leave the empty spinach stalk in the ground for next year? Or do I pull it all out and plant new seeds next year?
Spinach can be harvested by cutting the outer leaves off periodically and allowing new ones to grow from the center. Spinach is an annual, so once it’s done producing leaves, you’ll want to pull up the stalks and toss them in the compost. Spinach can actually be planted for two crops a season in most areas—one in the spring, and one in late summer/early fall. When the days start to cool off a little, try planting new seeds for a fall harvest!
Hi can I use different growth media such as hydroponics, cocoapit and soil to determine the best media for growth and development of spinach?