The following tricks for using skewers will improve your grilling and simplify the kabob-making process.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes before using them so they won't burn during cooking.
- If you prefer metal skewers, which have a long life, use square or twisted types, which will hold the food better than round ones.
- To keep food from slipping off during cooking and turning, use two parallel skewers rather than a single skewer.
- If you're using a wooden skewer, as you thread the food move the pieces close together, with no space showing. If the skewer is metal, you can leave small spaces between the pieces.
- When using foods with different cooking times (such as shrimp and beef), don't combine them on the same skewer. Instead, make skewers of just shrimp or just beef, start cooking the beef first, and then combine them on a serving platter.