This recipe was perfected by Mother Mary Clare in the monastery kitchen of the St. Scholastica Priory in Petersham, Massachusetts. Be forewarned: Brazil nuts are hard to find already shelled, so factor in about an hour for shelling a pound.
1. Preheat oven to 275°F. Thoroughly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
2. In a bowl, combine the fruit and nuts.
3. In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients and whisk to blend. Add fruit and nuts and mix thoroughly.
4. In another bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Add vanilla and 1 tablespoon of sherry and beat until blended. Stir into flour, fruit, and nut mixture until smooth.
5. Pack firmly into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until gently browned and firm to the touch. When cool, brush on remaining sherry.