Spicy Orange Salmon Over Edamame and Corn
Hidemi Walsh, Greenfield, Indiana
Sign up for daily recipes and kitchen tips
This spicy orange salmon recipe with edamame and corn won second prize in The 2018 Old Farmer’s Almanac recipe contest. The glaze on the salmon is light, not too sticky or sweet. And the caramelized edamame and corn sauce add more interest and flavor.
Many thanks to Hidemi Walsh for submitting this delicious (and healthy!) dish.
See more winning recipes using juicy oranges!
2 navel oranges
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon mirin
1 tablespoon white wine
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
1⁄8 teaspoon ground thyme
2 fresh salmon fillets (4 ounces each)
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Remove zest and juice from oranges (measure out ½ cup of orange juice). Set zest aside for garnish.
2. In a zip-top bag, combine orange juice, soy sauce, mirin, wine, cumin, garlic powder, and thyme.
3. Pat salmon dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Put salmon into marinade bag and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
4. About 10 minutes before cook time, remove bag from refrigerator.
5. In a cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Remove salmon from bag and reserve marinade. Put salmon, skin side down, into skillet. Cook until skins are crisp and brown, about 3 minutes. Flip salmon, reduce heat to medium, and cook until flesh is firm and flakes easily, about 4 minutes.
Caramelized Edamame and Corn Sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1⁄2 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
3 tablespoons frozen corn, thawed
1 scallion, thinly sliced, for garnish
In a separate skillet over medium heat, combine brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of water. After 1 minute, add reserved marinade. Reduce heat to medium-low and add edamame and corn. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
To serve, spread the edamame and corn on a plate. Place salmon on top and sprinkle with orange zest and scallions.
Get Almanac’s Daily Updates
BONUS: You’ll also receive our free Beginner Gardening Guide!