There are some flavors that are meant to go together, like cinnamon and apples. And we love caramel apples. So a recipe for Caramel Apple Cinnamon Compote was a natural step in combining these favorite flavors into one delicious topping for pancakes, waffles, French toast, ice cream, and anything else you want to cover in gourmet gooey-ness.
1. Melt the butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-low heat. 2. Mix together the brown sugar, nuts, and cinnamon to make a brown sugar mixture.
3. Add the brown sugar mixture, stirring for about five minutes until it melts into the butter and is looking fairly smooth (except for the nuts).
4. Fold in the apple wedges. The apples are cooler than the syrup in the pan, so the sugar may start to seize and harden unless you keep stirring it with the apples. When the apples warm up, the caramel sauce will be smooth again.
5. Lower the heat. Keep an eye on the caramelizing apples.
6. Stir off and on and simmer for about 7 minutes (until the apples are fork tender).
7. Take the pan off of the heat, but keep it warm until you are ready to serve.
8. Spoon over pancakes, French toast, ice cream and/or pie, or whatever you have to serve it with and enjoy!
More Like This