Learn how to make classic candy apples with these easy steps. These colorful treats at a festive touch to any fall or Halloween gathering!
9 red apples
9 wooden skewers
3 cups white sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
red food coloring
- Wash and dry apples. Make sure your apples are completely dry and chilled in fridge.
- Remove stems and insert skewers or wooden pop sticks into the stem end of apple.
- Combine sugar, cream of tartar, salt, and water in a deep saucepan. Add food coloring to get desired color.
- Place over heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Then bring saucepan to a full rolling boil over medium-high heat without stirring for 8 to 9 minutes. (If you have a candy thermometer, syrup registers 290ºF.) A small amount of syrup dropped into cold water should form hard threads.
- Remove from heat and immediately dip apples.
- Twirl to cover evenly, holding apple over pan to catch drips.
- Place, stick up, onto waxed paper to harden for ten minutes.
Serve immediately or refrigerate and eat within two days.
Makes 9 candied apples.