This Cornbread Salad is a “vintage” recipe that I got from my grandmother and everyone always requests it. It’s a layered salad with bacon, cheddar cheese, beans, salad vegetables, cornbread, and Ranch dressing.
However, it’s very flexible and you can add your own meats or cornbread leftovers, too.
This salad gets better if you let it chill 2 or more hours and tastes even better the next day. Serve as a main meal or a side.
- Crumble cornbread and place crumbs in a 9”x13” container.
- Layer with half of the pinto beans, half of the red onion, half of the bell pepper, and half of the tomatoes, half of the bacon, and half of the cheddar on top of the cornbread.
- Mix dill pickle juice with ranch dressing and pour half over layers. (This must be mixed.)
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 above.
- It can be served immediatly, but it’s better chilled. And for best flavor, allow to set overnight in the refrigerator.