Sam Jones/Quinn Brein
1 cup sweetened or unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup peeled, cored, and finely diced apple
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9x5-inch loaf pan and line with parchment paper, if desired.
- Combine the applesauce, ½ cup of sugar, brown sugar, eggs, oil, yogurt, and vanilla in a bowl and whisk to blend.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a separate large bowl. Make a well, add the applesauce mixture, and stir until combined. Fold in the diced apple and walnuts. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Bake on the center oven rack for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Turn the bread out of the pan and cool thoroughly before slicing.
Makes 1 loaf